Brilley is a quiet rural parish situated on south facing slopes high above the Wye valley. It enjoys spectacular views of the Black Mountains and Hay Bluff and, on a clear day, it is possible to see right across Herefordshire to the Malvern hills. To the north east is the market town of Kington and the to the south west is the famous book town of Hay-on-Wye.
Today, Brilley is in Herefordshire, but this land has been fought over for centuries. When Offa, the Anglo-Saxon king of Mercia in the late 8th Century, had his great dyke built as a barrier against Welsh raiding parties, Brilley lay to the west of the dyke, in Wales.
St Mary’s Church, Brilley, is a delightful little church which dates back to the 12th Century, although it was extensively rebuilt in about 1300. It has a 12th Century stone font and the nave has a beautiful 14th Century arch-braced, collar-truss roof.
All films and events for Borderlines May Festival 2012 are now over.
Visit Flicks in the Sticks for details of the regular film programme at Brilley Village Hall.
For more info see www.brilley.co.uk
Visitors ReviewsThere are no reviews yet.
Please log in to write a review.