Dorstone lies about 6 miles from Hay-on-Wye at the head of the Golden Valley - the name by which the Dore River valley is generally known. The Golden Valley runs from Dorstone in the north to Pontrillas in the south, through some of the most beautiful and tranquil scenery in the county.
There is a local tradition that links both the parish church of St Faith’s and the Pandy Inn with Sir Richard de Brito, one of the 4 knights who murdered Thomas Becket. In 1185, after an exile of 14 years in expiation of his crime, Sir Richard returned to England and, according to legend, founded a chapel on the site of St Faith’s. The Pandy Inn is said to have been built to house the workman, and is reputed to be the oldest pub in the county.
On the ridge of the hill to the east of the village is Arthur’s Stone, the impressive remains of a multi-chambered burial tomb of the Neolithic age. Legend has it that this was the site of one of King Arthur’s battles and that, after the battle, he knelt here and gave thanks for his victory.
The Victorian diarist, Francis Kilvert, lived for a time just over the hill at Bredwardine, where he was the vicar from 1877 until his death in 1879. Prior to becoming the vicar for Bredwardine, Kilvert had spent 7 years as the vicar of Clyro, near Hay-on-Wye. His diaries provide a vivid description of rural life in this part of Herefordshire in the latter half of the 19th Century.
Photographs courtesy of Jane Taylor
All films and events for Borderlines May Festival 2012 are now over.
Visit Flicks in the Sticks for details of the regular film programme at Dorstone Village Hall
For more info see www.dorstone.org.uk
Visitors ReviewsThere are no reviews yet.
Please log in to write a review.