A collection of widely scattered hamlets rather than a village, Garway nevertheless has a distinct identity. It is primarily a farming community located on south-facing slopes overlooking the Monnow river and has been occupied since prehistoric times. The earth embankments of an Iron Age enclosure on Garway Hill are still easily visible and, further down on the south west side of the hill evidence of a substantial Roman fort were discovered in 1986 during an investigation of the area by the Monmouth Archaeology Society.
From the 12th to the 16th centuries the manor of Garway was owned first by the Knights Templars and, after they were suppressed in 1307, by the Knights Hospitallers. Although there is evidence for a Celtic church dating back to about the 7th Century, the Knights Templar built the first stone church on the present site of St Michael’s. This church had an unusual circular nave – the foundations can still be seen beside the North wall. Although the Knights Hospitallers later rebuilt the nave the original arch separating the nave and the chancel still survives as does the original altar stone. Nearby is a beautifully preserved circular dovecote which also dates to the early 14th Century.
Visit Flicks in the Sticks for details of the regular film programme at Garway Village Hall
For more info see www.garway.org.uk
|Main Phone||01600 750465|
Visitors ReviewsThere are no reviews yet.
Please log in to write a review.